Sunday, June 16, 2013

Bug bites on my ankles, ain't no thang.

 As it is now the eve of my first day of work, I figured I should share about all the great people I've met and great things I've seen. For the first four days or so, Alice (the other UP intern) and I stayed at the Holy Cross Seminary where we met some of the most jovial (!!), most amazing men. Each night at dinner, these four men supplied us with enough laughter to suffice for a year. Brother John is the wise voice of reason—I just realized that his name is Brother John...which I think is a character in Robin Hood? Maybe? Anyway, then there's Patrick, who's more laid back, but will bring up points to settle a dispute. Cyprian is the hilarious judge, and Aga is the jokester. And I love them. I'd say that one of the highlights about being in Nairobi was going to the Animal Orphanage right next to the Nairobi National Park. There I saw cheetahs, lions, monkeys in cages, monkeys gone rogue, fed a giraffe, hyenas, house cats, and an impala. Alice and I were also part of the show...school children gawked at us and followed us while a family with a 2-year-old girl insisted on her taking a picture with us. Soon, the entire family was in the picture, too. I guess we're some funny-looking people.
We convened with Peter (the site coordinator) and ten Duke interns to fly from Nairobi to Kisumu AKA the shortest flight ever. It felt like we took off, had a sip of plane-coffee, and landed. Then, a van overcrowded with college kids and literally overflowing with luggage made its way up the gorgeous A1 highway to the small city of Kakamega. The drive with uncomfortable, but it was possibly one of the most beautiful drives I've taken. The countryside is incredibly green with rolling hills filled with maize and tea plants. Oh! One of the coolest details of this drive: we passed over the equator into the northern hemisphere. Turns out Kakamega is 30 kilometers above the equator...so I'm basically living on that imaginary line. We safely made it to Sheywe Guest House in Kakamega where we would spend the next week in orientation, Kiswahili lessons, and learning about Kenyan culture and tradition.
The city of Kakamega is unlike any city I've been in, but that's probably because I've never truly been in a typical Kenyan city. Everywhere, people sell second-hand clothes, shoes, locally-grown produce, fresh meats, and stores carry everything from WiFi modems to freshly baked goods, to I don't even know. You can get anything you'd ever need. It's more of a city than I expected, but it's nice. It is a bit crowded, but it is not the bad kind of crowded. People are friendly and the traffic is aggressive. Speaking of traffic, there are three main modes of public transportation. First,there are mutatus, which are basically big vans that carry people anywhere in the country. It's essentially a bus system, but instead of only carrying fourteen people like they should be, mutatus normally carry twenty to twenty-five. They also tend to have some pretty wacky names. So far, I've seen a countless number of religious names, a few called “Hearse” that we parked across the street from a coffin vendor, and “Swagger Life.” But my personal favorite is “Mimi ni T-Pain” (I am T-Pain). Next, there are pikipikis or motorbikes. I'm a little too wary to try those out right now. But I did try the third type of transportation called boda bodas. Men ride their bikes and you sit on a seat behind them above the back wheel while you hold on and try not to think of all the things that could go wrong. It was actually pretty fun!
Thursday was the last day of orientation, so we split up the group and took two mutatus to Kisumu for the day. There, we walked around, ate lunch, and went to a resort to take a boat trip on Lake Victoria. There were sixteen of us on a long, bright blue boat (twelve interns, two program coordinators, one man to run the boat, and one to tell us what we were seeing) so we were sitting at water-level. We saw countless cool birds fishing and making woven nests. But the coolest thing we saw was a mother hippo with her two baby hippos. We sat and watched them from about thirty or so feet away for probably twenty minutes of pure bliss. Hippos are the coolest! Sure, they kill more people in a year than alligators do, but they're just the oddest animals! I was thinking of the dancing hippos from Fantasia the entire time. So...Fantasia—real life—same thing.
The group split up yesterday morning as we all made our own ways to our host families. I have spent the past two days adjusting to their way of living and trying to become a member of the family as much as possible. From here on out, it is all about adjustments, assimilating, and learning.
Tomorrow will be my first day of observation and learning sign language...I am a bit nervous, but am mostly excited for this fantastic opportunity. I am so glad to have such a great support system here in Kakamega in addition to all the support back at home...wherever home may be, whether it's PNW or California or Spain or Costa Rica. So wish me luck! I'm about to truly start what may be the most difficult, yet most beneficial experience I've had yet.


P.S. Pictures are to come tomorrow. Baby's gonna get some z's. 

1 comment: